Skip to Main Content

Research Grants


Click here to apply!

University of Maryland Baltimore County
Graduate Student Association



  1.  Eligibility
  2.  Grant Submission Guidelines 
  3.  Submit a Grant
  4.  Reimbursable Expenses
  5.  Frequently Asked Questions
  6.  Imaging and Digital Arts Students




Students must …

  • Be in a graduate program in good standing with GSA
  • If in a combined program, have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Be in compliance with GSA procedures for submitting grants
  • Completing research on a thesis or dissertation


2. Grant Submission Guidelines

  1. The maximum funding allowance for research is $1,000. Any purchases made PRIOR TO notification of grant acceptance will not be reimbursed. If there are any CHANGES to projected costs, it is recommended that students notify GSA by email of such a change.
  2. Remember, research grants may be carried over into the next semester as long as students submit an unofficial transcript for that semester.
  3. The GSA will reimburse students for the cost of Software/Hardware only if they cannot complete their thesis or dissertation without it and it is not provided anywhere on campus, or through any of UMBC’s services or departments. Software that makes writing a dissertation easier but is not necessary, e.g. EndNote, is not an allowable expense.
  4. Research grant applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to incurring expenses. Items purchased before grant approval will not be reimbursed.
  5. If travelling, grant applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to departure.
  6. When submitting your application you must include a copy of your unofficial transcript to prove you are a fee-paying student for the current semester.
  7. You must also include a description of your research and an IRB approval certificate (if relevant).
  8. All applications must be approved and signed by your advisor. We will also accept an e-mail from their UMBC account.

3. Submit a Grants

You may complete your online application form here

You may obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript by following these directions.

4. Reimbursable Expenses

The GSA is unable to reimburse all expenses, one of the reasons we ask students to obtain approval from us before they begin spending research funds.

5. Frequently Asked Questions:

Where can I find the Research Grant application?
Right here.

Where can I find a copy of my unofficial transcript?
You may obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript by following these directions.

What needs to be turned in with my application?
Your application filled out and signed in its entirety.
– A copy of your transcripts (unofficial from your my UMBC account is fine) showing enrollment for the semester in which you will be researching (exceptions for summer and winter terms)

How long before my research begins should I turn in my application?
As soon as possible!
The deadline for applications is TWO WEEKS before the incurring of research expenses.
The deadline for applications is TWO WEEKS before the date of travel.
To ensure reimbursement and allow time for making travel arrangements, the traveler should plan ahead and submit as soon as they possibly can.

If I drive, am I eligible for reimbursement for gas/rental?
The cost of renting a car is reimbursable.
If a private car is used the GSA can reimburse for mileage at UMBC’s current travel rate according to the current University Policy. For this, the traveler must submit an online print off of the directions to the conference showing the distance traveled. We recommend using Google Maps.

When can I purchase my plane ticket/reserve hotel room?
Travel purchases can be made at any time.
Please contact GSA if you have specific questions regarding any purchases.

Do you need original receipts or are copies okay?
Accounting requires original receipts; copies will not be accepted.

Other than receipts, what do you require for reimbursement?
If purchases were made with either a bank or credit card, the statement or a print off of the online activity must be provided to back up the purchases. Your name must be shown on either of these to prove that you are the one who made the purchase. If you cannot find a page with your name on it a legible photocopy of the card with your name and the last 4 digits shown can be accepted.

What if I do not have online banking/credit card information?

If online banking activity is not an option for you, please submit all receipts along with a letter stating that you must wait for your next monthly statement to arrive to complete the process before the deadline for submittal (see below).

How long do I have to turn in my receipts and statements?
You have 10 business days following your return from travel to submit all of your receipts and supporting documents.
– Submissions after this date must be accompanied by a memo addressed to accounting stating the reason for late submittal.

What happens after I turn in my receipts and statements?
The Grants Administrator reviews and tallies your receipts and creates an expense statement
– Following review from the GSA’s Executive Director, you will be asked to come in to sign this document.
– After you have signed, your expense statement and receipts will be sent off to accounting.

How long will it take for me to receive my reimbursement?
Following submission to accounting, it can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks for them to process your reimbursement. Please click on Tracking Payments for the status of your reimbursement.

How will I receive my reimbursement?
If you are an employee of the University and have signed up for direct deposit, your reimbursement will be deposited into the account you signed up with.
– If you are not, a check will be sent to the address you provided on your application.

Whom do I contact if I have problems, questions, and concerns?
The Grants Administrator can be reached either by phone (410-455-2773) or email (

6. Imaging and Digital Arts Students

The GSA is happy to help fund your thesis projects and considers them to fall under the “Research” Category. We understand that your specific request will sometimes contain unconventional items but ask that you keep in mind that we always need both a receipt and proof that you paid for the stated item. GSA is happy to work with individual students to help them meet their grant needs, so do not hesitate to stop by during office hours or make an appointment.