GSA Travel Pre-Approval Instructions for Students
Per UMBC’s Travel Policy and Procedures, “Pre-approval must be obtained prior to the commencement of the trip or before any portion of the trip for the following types of travel: Out of state, In state with overnight stay (includes Washington D. C.), International , The only travel that does not require pre-approval is travel within the State of Maryland or Washington, D.C. with no overnight stay. Pre-approval must be completed and approved prior to the commencement of the travel or before any portion of the trip is pre-paid, in order to ensure that the traveler is covered by Worker’s Compensation benefits. No tickets will be authorized, and no expense statement will be processed, without the completion of pre-approval. The traveler can complete the pre-approval form or designate another to complete the pre-approval on his/her behalf. ” Please visit UMBC’s Travel Website for more information.
Updated as of December 2022
- Apply for a GSA Grant:
- Please be as detailed as possible in your application. The more detail you provide, the more likely your application will be approved.
- Once you submit your application, your advisor will be notified and is required to confirm that the event/research is supported by them.
- You will be contacted within 3-5 business days if your application is missing information.
- All applicants will receive an email with their status, in the first week of the following month in which they applied (e.g., if they applied in February, they will receive an email in the first week of March).
- Once your application has been approved, you will have 5 business days to complete the following step to initiate travel or your application will be denied:
- If you are set up in the UMBC System as a GA/RA/Staff Member: Complete the pre-approval travel form.
- If you are not set up in the UMBC System, you are required to contact your department to prepare the pre-approval travel form for you.
- Once you have submitted your pre-approval, you will receive a confirmation email. If upon review there are items that need to be corrected you will receive an email and you will have 3 business days to resubmit.