Skip to Main Content

Conference Grants

Click here to Apply

University of Maryland Baltimore County
Graduate Student Association


  1.  Eligibility
  2.  Grant Submission Procedures
  3.  Submit a Grant
  4.  Frequently Asked Questions
  5.  Reimbursement


1. Eligibility

Students must … (for details click here)

    • Be enrolled at UMBC and paying graduate fees for the semester that funds are requested
    • Be in a graduate program in good standing with GSA
    • If in a combined program, have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
    • Be in good academic standing
    • Be in compliance with GSA procedures for submitting grants

2. Grant Submission Procedures

      1. Travel grant applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to departure.
      2. When submitting your application you must include a copy of your unofficial transcript to prove you are a fee-paying student for the current semester.
      3. You must also include either a letter of acceptance if you are presenting or a flyer for the conference if you are just attending.
      4. All applications must be approved and signed by your advisor. We will also accept an e-mail from their UMBC account.

3. Submit a Grant Application

You may complete the online application form here.

You may obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript by following these directions.


4. Frequently Asked Questions:

Where can I find the Travel Grant application?
Use the online form here.

Where can I find a copy of my unofficial transcript?
You may obtain a copy of your unofficial transcript by following these directions.

What does the travel grant cover in terms of food?

– Reimbursement of meal costs is offered as per diem for each day the student traveled at UMBC’s meal rates.
– UMBC’s meal rates will be according to the current University Policy.
– Receipts are not needed to receive per diem but the exact dates and times of travel (each day) must be submitted upon return.
– The purchase of alcohol and room service will not be reimbursed.

If I drive to a conference (or use a rental), am I eligible for reimbursement for gas/rental?
The cost of renting a car is reimbursable.
– If a private car is used the GSA can reimburse for mileage at UMBC’s current travel rate according to the current University Policy. For this the traveler must submit an online print off of the directions to the conference showing the distance traveled. We recommend using Google Maps.

How long before the conference should I turn in my application?
As soon as possible!
– The deadline for applications is TWO WEEKS before the date of travel.
– To ensure reimbursement and allow time for making travel arrangements, the traveler should plan ahead and submit as soon as they possibly can.

When can I purchase my plane ticket/reserve hotel room?
– Travel purchases can be made at any time for travel grants.
– Please contact GSA if you have specific questions regarding any purchases.

Do you need original receipts or are copies okay?
Accounting requires original receipts; copies will not be accepted. Online confirmations of purchases for airfare and pre-paid hotel stays are acceptable.

Other than receipts, what do you require for reimbursement?
If a personal car was used for travel then an online print-off of the directions to the conference showing the distance traveled is required if asking for reimbursement for mileage.
– If purchases were made with either a bank or credit card, the statement or a print off of the online activity must be provided to back up the purchases. Your name must be shown on either of these to prove that you are the one who made the purchase. If you cannot find a page with your name on it a legible photocopy of the card with your name and the last 4 digits shown can be accepted.
– If students share travel costs with someone else, they must obtain a separate receipt showing their personal expenses in order to be reimbursed

How long do I have to turn in my receipts and statements?
You have 10 business days following your return from travel to submit all of your receipts and supporting documents.
– Submissions after this date must be accompanied by a memo addressed to accounting stating the reason for late submittal.

What happens after I turn in my receipts and statements?
The Grants Administrator reviews and tallies your receipts and creates an expense statement
– Following review from the GSA’s Executive Administrative Assistant you will be asked to come in to sign this document.
– After you have signed, your expense statement and receipts will be sent off to accounting.

What if I do not have online banking/credit card information?
If online banking activity is not an option for you, please submit all receipts along with a letter stating that you must wait for your next monthly statement to arrive to complete the process before the deadline for submittal (see below).

How long will it take for me to receive my reimbursement?
Following submission to accounting, it can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks for them to process your reimbursement. Please click on Tracking Payments for the status of your reimbursement.

How will I receive my reimbursement?
If you are an employee of the University and have signed up for direct deposit, your reimbursement will be deposited into the account you signed up with.
– If you are not, a check will be sent to the address you provided on your application.

Whom do I contact if I have problems, questions, and concerns?
The Grants Administrator can be reached either by phone (410-455-2773) or email (

5. Reimbursement

After returning please complete, sign, and email the reimbursement form along with supporting documents to Click here for instructions.